What important documents will I need to continue my education?

In general, these are the documents you’ll need to have ready as you apply for schools, programs, and financial aid. You may not need all of these, and/or may need others that are not on this list. Check the requirements listed on the school, program, or aid application to be absolutely sure. (NOTE: You can start the process of getting some of these documents while you are still incarcerated):

    High school credential and/or transcripts (see PG. 847)
    College credential and/or transcripts (see PG. 857)
    Immunization/Vaccination Records (see PG. 832)
    Letters of Recommendation (see PG. 865);
    List of References (people who can speak positively of you to schools or programs where you apply)[2667]
    Social Security Number/Card (see BUILDING BLOCKS OF REENTRY: ID & VOTING CHAPTER, PG. 37)
    Authorized birth certificate (see BUILDING BLOCKS OF REENTRY: ID & VOTING CHAPTER, PG. 30)
    California state ID or driver license (see BUILDING BLOCKS OF REENTRY: ID & VOTING CHAPTER, on PG. 42)
    RAP sheet – just for you to review! (see UNDERSTANDING & CLEANING UP YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD CHAPTER, PG. 915)
    For males only: Selective Service registration[2668] (If you were incarcerated during the time when you were supposed to have registered with the Selective Service, you may be able to get a “Status Information Letter” to get around this ban—see BUILDING BLOCKS OF REENTRY: ID & VOTING CHAPTER, PG. 73)
  1. 2667

    See U.S. Dep’t of Educ. Office of Vocational & Adult Educ., Take Charge of Your Future: Get the Education and Training You Need (2012).

  2. 2668

    Cal. Veh. Code § 69400 (“No person subject to the federal Military Selective Service Act (50 U.S.C. App. 451 et seq.) shall receive any financial aid pursuant to this part if that person has not registered in accordance with that act.”).