A state ID card and a Driver License are the most commonly used forms of identification for most people in their daily lives. In California, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issues both of these documents. The major difference between these two forms of ID is that a California state ID card can be used only for identification purposes, but does not permit you to drive a car. A California driver license can be used for identification AND permits you to drive a car.[61]

Once you have an authorized copy of your birth certificate (PG. 30) and know your Social Security number (SSN) (PG. 37), you have what you need to apply for a California state ID card or a California driver license.

  1. 61

    Driver License and Identification Card Information, Cal. DMV,

  1. Which one is right for me — a State ID Card or a Driver License? What’s the difference?

  2. I am currently incarcerated. Can I apply for a California state ID or a California Driver license?

  3. What is the CAL-ID program?

  4. In what facilities is the CAL-ID program available?

  5. Who is eligible for the CAL-ID program?

  6. I think I am eligible for the CAL-ID program. How do I apply?

  7. Post-release — Getting a California State ID or Driver License After You’re Out

    1. I am formerly incarcerated and want to get a CA state ID. How do I apply?

    2. I am formerly incarcerated and want to get a CA Driver License. How do I apply?

  8. Driver License Suspensions & Revocations

    1. My Driver License has been suspended or revoked. What does this mean?

    2. What happens if my license is suspended?

    3. What happens if my Driver License is revoked?

    4. If my license was suspended or revoked, could I get my driving privileges back?

    5. My license was suspended in another state. Will I be able to get a California driver license?

    6. What laws could negatively affect me if I am trying to get (or keep) a California driver license?

    7. Does getting my criminal conviction expunged help me get my suspended or revoked driver license back?