Whate are the other limited forms of ID for undocumented people?

You may be able to get one of these limited forms of ID, which can be used for some but not all purposes:

Consular Identification Cards (CIDs): Some governments issue CID cards to identify their citizens who are living in foreign countries. CID cards can be issued to people who are undocumented or documented in the foreign county. See Appendix I, PG. 109, for a list of countries that issue CIDs. If you are a citizen of one of these countries, visit the nearest consulate to obtain your CID card. In the United States, CID cards can be a helpful ID document as you try to get a driver license, open a bank account, show proof of identity to police, and access other services. For example, in California, you can use a Mexican CID to get a driver license. However, CIDs do not grant you legal presence in the United States or other privileges.[204]

Municipal IDs: A handful of California cities have begun issuing municipal (“city”) ID cards for their residents. You can use these to get access to city services and benefits. More importantly, they are considered a form of identification by local officials and may provide evidence to get other forms of ID. Additionally, these forms of ID do not require proof of citizenship or legal presence of any kind.

San Francisco City ID Card — Photo ID card for San Francisco residents to get access to city programs and connect to local businesses. It proves identity and city residency; and it can be used as a public library card and to access other city services. For more information, visit the San Francisco County Clerk’s website at: http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=110, or call 2-1-1 in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Oakland City ID Prepaid Mastercard — Photo ID with an optional Prepaid Debit Card banking feature for Oakland residents. For Oakland residents who don’t have bank accounts, it provides an affordable alternative. For more information, visit http://www.oaklandcityid.com/ or call 1-888-997-3522.

Richmond City ID Card — Photo ID and prepaid debit card for Richmond residents. For more information, see http://www.richmondcityid.com/ or call 1-888-997-3522.

  1. 204

    BORDER SECURITY: Consular Identification Cards Accepted within United States, but Consistent Federal Guidance Needed, U.S. Gov’t Accountability Office, GAO-040881. (Aug. 24, 2004).