What can I do if I feel I was illegally discriminated against by an employer?

If you think that an employer has illegally discriminated against you either because of a complete ban against people with criminal records or by treating your record negatively because of your race, sex, religion, or national origin, etc., you can report the employer to the EEOC or DFEH. (The EEOC and DFEH are the government agencies responsible for enforcing certain civil rights and anti-discrimination laws.)

You may want to talk to a legal aid lawyer or plaintiff’s-side employment layer about your situation. You have to file a complaint with the EEOC or DFEH before you are allowed to file a lawsuit in court against the employer, and a lawyer can help you with this process. It is recommended you contact the EEOC or DFEH immediately, and reach out to lawyers who can advise you. For more information about finding a lawyer, see PG. 599. For more information about filing a lawsuit, see PG. 594.