I was incarcerated and have an order not to contact my spouse. How do I get a divorce?

The process of divorce is the same, but you CANNOT make contact with your spouse or domestic partner. Instead, you will have to ask someone to file your forms for you.

To protect yourself and to make sure you do not violate the no-contact order, talk to your attorney who represented you at the time you received the protective order if you received the no-contact order as a result of a criminal investigation or criminal conviction. If the no-contact order was condition of your parole, you should contact the defense attorney/public defender who represented you and/or ask your parole officer for help. Both of these people can help you find resources so that you can begin the divorce process.