I was incarcerated, and now I cannot find my spouse. How do I get a divorce?

If you can no longer find your spouse, you must still file the paperwork and go through the steps of filing a divorce (see Appendix K on PG. 822 for those steps). When you appear in court, you will need to show that you tried your best to find your spouse. The judge may ask you questions about how you tried to find your spouse. If the judge feels like more should be done, s/he may require you to “notify” your spouse by “publication” (a newspaper posting) or by “posting” (putting the divorce notice on a bulletin board in the courthouse).[2527]

  1. 2527

    Judicial Council of Cal., Service by Publication or Posting - Family Law Cases, http://www.courts.ca.gov/20213.htm.