What can I do to show mitigating circumstances related to my criminal record?

You can show the judge anything that indicates that giving you custody or visitation will be in the best interests of your child. You can show the judge things like: certificates earned during incarceration, letters to and from your child, letters of support from family and friends, documents that show attendance in self-help groups, proof of employment.[2397]

  1. 2397

    Legal Services for Prisoners with Children, Child Custody and Visitation Rights Manual For Recently Released Parents (Nov. 2012), available at http://www.prisonerswithchildren.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Recently-released-parents version-12.11.12.pdf