Why would I go to family court to reconnect with my child or grandchild?

You may go to family court cases about divorce or separation; child support; paternity/parentage questions; and/or custody and visitation disagreements between parents or caregivers (so long as CPS is NOT involved).[2383] A family court judge may make decisions and orders related to any of these types of cases.

Additionally, in some probate court cases, the judge making decisions about a probate guardianship will transfer a case from probate court to family court if a biological parent ACTIVELY OBJECTS to the guardianship placement. The probate court tends to see this type of a dispute as a custody disagreement better suited for family courts to handle. Read more about probate court guardianships beginning on PG. 748.

To learn about alternatives to going to family court, see PG. 747.

  1. 2383

    Cal. Fam. Code § 213.