I believe there is a protective order or “no-contact” condition against me. What can I do?

There are two types of protective orders (also called “stay-away”, “no-contact”, and “restraining” orders) that could be in place against you:

    A protective order could be a condition of your supervision, required by parole, probation, or some other type of community supervision) AND/OR
    A protective order could be required by a court (put in place by a judge in a criminal court and/or civil court).[2360]

In either case, you MUST follow the protective order. While following the protective order, you can still challenge, fight or appeal it![2361] Read the question on PG. 738 to learn how.

PLEASE NOTE: It’s important to get to know the SPECIFICS of any orders preventing you from contacting another person. For example, a protective order/ “no-contact” condition may prevent you from contacting the caregiver or other parent of your child or grandchild; but this protective order may not apply to your child or grandchild, unless it specifically says so. This can create a situation where, for example, you are allowed to contact your child, but you cannot arrange for a visit with your child because you are not allowed to contact your child’s caregiver or the other parent.

  1. 2360

    Cal. Penal Code § 136.2.

  2. 2361

    How to File CDCR Administrative Appeal, Prison Law Office, http://prisonlaw.com/pdfs/AdministrativeAppeals,July2010.pdf.