Will my parole or probation officer help me find somewhere to live?

It depends, but usually not. But it’s always worth asking your supervising officer if they know of any housing resources!

If you are on California state parole:

There is very little help for housing. In some counties, some parole officers may work with local boarding houses, hotels, or motels to find you a temporary place to stay.[1187] Additionally, there could be funding from the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation (CDCR) for you to stay a short amount of time in transitional housing (most of those programs are run by the CDCR’s Division of Rehabilitative Programs, which you can read more online at: http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/rehabilitation/what-we-do.html).

You can also ask your correctional counselor (if you’re incarcerated) or your parole officer (if you are living in the community) about what types of funding exists for transitional housing while you are on state parole. If your parole officer is unable to help you find short-term, transitional or emergency housing, you may try going to an emergency shelter (see PG. 342.)

As a last resort, you may have to use your Gate Money (read more about Gate Money in the PAROLE & PROBATION CHAPTER on PG. 150) to pay for a hotel or motel, until you find a more permanent living situation.

If you are on California county-level supervision like probation, PRCS, or mandatory supervision:

Ask your probation/supervising officer about what local programs are available. Ask if they can make referrals to affordable housing agencies or nonprofits that advocate for low-income people to find housing.

If you are on federal probation, supervised release, or federal parole:

Ask your federal Probation Officer for a list of affordable housing options in the area. Federal probation officers will not normally release you from a transitional (“halfway”) house unless you have a plan for permanent housing. Also, read about some of your options for long-term housing on PG. 346 of this chapter.

  1. 1187

    See Cal. Dep’t of Corr. & Rehab., Parolee Information Handbook at 6.