How do I obtain a birth certificate from my country of origin?

Most, but not all, foreign countries record births and will provide certifications of births occurring within their boundaries. You should contact your birth country’s nearest Embassy or Consulate in the United States. Addresses and telephone numbers for these offices are listed in the U.S. Department of State Publication 7846, Foreign Consular Offices in the United States, which is available in many local libraries. Copies of this publication may also be purchased from the U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402.

If the Embassy or Consulate is unable to provide assistance, U.S. citizens may obtain assistance by writing to the Office of Overseas Citizens Services, U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC 20520-4818. Noncitizens residing in the United States may be able to obtain assistance through the Embassy or Consulate of their country of nationality.