I am an undocumented person. Can I get a social security number or card?

If you are undocumented, you cannot get a Social Security Number or card, which limits your ability to work legally in the U.S. and receive certain government benefits. However, it won’t stop you from accessing many other services and benefits. For example, a SSN is NOT required to get a driver’s license, register for school, get private health insurance, or apply to subsidized housing. Although many companies, such as banks or credit card corporations, may ask for your social security number, you aren’t required to provide one if you don’t have one. If you are concerned about how your immigration status is affecting your ability to find work, speak to an immigration attorney. See PG. 1134 for a list of referrals.