Traveling as a noncitizen

I am a noncitizen. Am I allowed to travel outside of California?

It depends. If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), you have many of the same rights as U.S. citizens, including the right to travel throughout the country and abroad. Bring your green card with you, if possible, and be wary of traveling outside of the U.S. for more than six months — this could be interpreted as moving to another country and could put your legal status in jeopardy.[3461]

IMPORTANT: If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident with a criminal record, consult with an attorney before leaving the country — especially if your arrest or conviction occurred after you obtained LPR status. See PG. 1134 for a list of people and organizations you can contact.


  1. 3461

    Immigrant Legal Resource Center, “The Rights of Lawful Permanent Residents” (Mar. 2017).