Transferring To Another State As a Person Required to Register as a Sex Offender


You must meet the four basic eligibility requirements to transfer to another state that apply to all people, AND you must meet additional requirements that are specific to people classified as sex offenders.[1129]

The four basic eligibility requirements for anyone to transfer their supervision to another state are:

    You have 90 days (3 months) or more, or an undecided amount of time, left to serve on community supervision at the time your application is submitted to the state you wish to transfer to;
    You have a valid supervision plan;
    You have not had your parole revoked and have no pending parole revocation charges; AND
    You are a resident of the receiving state, OR you have family that lives in the state who are willing and able to assist you, and you can find employment or another means of supporting yourself.[1130]

IMPORTANT NOTE: You cannot leave until the state receiving your application has approved the transfer request or issued reporting instructions.

Follow these steps to request the transfer to a new state:

STEP 1: Discuss your desire to transfer to a different state with your parole or probation officer.

STEP 2: Satisfy the four basic eligibility criteria listed above. It’s up to the sending state to decide if you are eligible and can be approved for a transfer request.

STEP 3: Complete an Application for Transfer.

STEP 4: The sending state must send the state receiving your application the following:

    assessment information, including sex offender specific assessments;
    social history;
    information relevant to criminal sexual behavior;
    law enforcement report that provides the specific details of the sex offense;
    victim information: including the name, gender, age and relationship to the offender, and the statement of the victim or victim’s representative;
    the sending state’s current or recommended supervision and treatment plan.[1131]

STEP 5: The state receiving the application has 5 business days to review the proposed residence. If the proposed residence is not acceptable due to existing state law or policy, the receiving state may deny the application. No travel permit can be granted by the sending state until the receiving state says it can.[1132]

STEP 6: A travel permit will be given to you by your parole or probation officer if the receiving state has approved the new residence. Travel permits are issued by the local probation or parole office, so each office uses a different form. Your parole or probation should give you this form once you have been approved by the Interstate Commission for Adult Offender Supervision (ICAOS).[1133]

  1. 1129

    For additional rules, see ICAOS Rule 3.101-3.

  2. 1130

    ICAOS Rule 3.101.

  3. 1131

    ICAOS Rule 3.101-3(b).

  4. 1132

    ICAOS Rule 3.101-3(c).

  5. 1133

    Email conversation with Harry Hageman, Executive Director, Interstate Commission for Adult Supervision on Feb. 26, 2015.