Where can I find a food bank to get EFAP benefits?
Steps to finding food banks/partner agencies:
- You should try to go to an Emergency Food Assistance Program food bank near your house. Try looking online at http://www.cafoodbanks.org/Hunger-in-CA or call the Association of California Food Banks at 1-866-321-4435.
- If there are no Emergency Food Assistance Program food banks near your house, then you should try to go to an Emergency Food Assistance Program food bank nearby. You might still be able to get food there if you show that you live in an area that’s within the same county. But be aware that—you might be turned away and told to try and find a food bank that serves the area you live in.
- If you are turned away, remember you can always try and find a non- Emergency Food Assistance Program food bank or partner agency that does not use Emergency Food Assistance Program restrictions.
Here are some numbers you can call to find food banks in your local area:
- California hotline for food aid information: 1-877-847-FOOD
- Local information and referral hotline: 2-1-1 (not available in every county)
If you have Internet access, here are some websites you can visit:
- List of food banks across California: http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/efap/PG1910.htm
- Tool to find food aid near your ZIP code: http://www.cafoodbanks.org/?q=find-food-assistance