How do I apply for Medi-Cal?
You can apply for Medi-Cal by submitting a Covered California application through several methods: online, by phone, in person, by mail, or by fax. You can get the paper application at your local county social services office, or online at https://www.coveredca.com/PDFs/paper_application/CA-SingleStreamApp_92MAX.pdf. The introductory pages of the application (but not the full application) can be found here in Appendix D, PG. 511.
- Online: Go to www.CoveredCA.com. Set up an account with a username and password. Once you log in, you can apply for Medi-Cal. Or you may use BenefitsCal by visiting http://www.benefitscal.org, where you can apply for several California benefits programs in addition to Medi-Cal all at once. We suggest contacting your county Medi-Cal office prior to applying online, because some counties prefer that you apply in person.
- By phone: Call your county social services office to apply by phone. You can contact Covered California to ask for the number of your county social services office by calling Covered California at 1-800-300-1506 (TTY: 1-888-889-4500), or by visiting its website: http://www.coveredca.com/contact/.
- In person: Visit your county social services office. (For a statewide directory, see Appendix A, PG. 505,.) At the office, you can pick up the application form, get help filling it out, and submit it.
- By mail: Send your completed application form to: Covered California; P.O. Box 989725; West Sacramento, CA 95798-9725.
If you want free help with your application:
- Call Covered California at 1-800-300-1506 (TTY: 1-888-889-4500) to speak with a Certified Enrollment Counselor. The line is open Monday to Friday, 8 AM to 8 PM; and Saturday, 8 AM to 6 PM.
- Get in-person help at a local county social services office (for a statewide list of offices, see Appendix A, PG. 505, or visit http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/Pages/CountyOffices.aspx.
- Local community-based organizations and community clinics provide free assistance. You can identify which organizations help with enrollment by calling Covered California or using the “Find Local Help” tool on the Covered California website at http://www.coveredca.com/get-help/local/.
- If you use the online application at www.CoveredCA.com, you can get help through the “online chat” feature.
- You can find a listing of Medi-Cal approved certified enrollers at: http://www.coveredca.com/get-help/local/#null. Certified enrollers are community-based organizations that have Covered California and Medi-Cal approval to help applicants apply for health care.
The online application requires moving through about 70 web pages. Covered California has said that applying online takes about 30 minutes, but the total time will depend on how many household members you’re applying for. Applying for ObamaCare, Affordable Health California, http://affordablehealthca.com/applying-for-coverage/. ↑
A list of county offices is available here: http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/Pages/CountyOffices.aspx. ↑
Applying for ObamaCare, Affordable Health California, http://affordablehealthca.com/applying-for-coverage/ ↑