I don’t have any ID. Where and when can I start?

Where do I to start?

If you do not have any of the 3 most important forms of ID — your birth certificate, a Social Security card (or number), OR a state ID or driver license — you will have trouble proving your identity.

For most, it is best to get your birth certificate first, then your Social Security card, and lastly your state ID or driver license. To learn more about these 3 key documents:

    See PG. 31 for birth certificate
    See PG. 38 for Social Security card / SSN
    See PG. 43 for California state ID and driver license
When can I start? Can I start if I am currently incarcerated?

It is never too early to start gathering official ID. It helps to begin while you are still incarcerated as part of your preparation for release.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION IF YOU ARE INCARCERATED IN A CDCR STATE PRISON: If you are incarcerated in a California state prison, state law requires the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) and the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to make sure all qualifying individuals receive a California state ID at the time of release.[4] CDCR is carrying out this law through its “CAL-ID” program. If you qualify, you should get a state ID for free at the time of release. See PG. 44 for more information on the program and who is eligible.

  1. 4

    Cal. Penal Code § 3007.05.