I have used different names (“aliases”). What name is best to use on my ID?

Your ID documents must be in your “legal” name. This will be the name that appears on your birth certificate, unless you have legally changed it. Changes in your legal name are done through marriage or by court order.[5]

IMPORTANT: Using a false name or presenting false documents to get ID is a FEDERAL offense. Don’t do it.


  1. 5

    See Cal. Civ. Proc. Code §§ 1275-1279.5; see also Change an Adult’s Name, Cal. Superior Courts, http://www.courts.ca.gov/1051.htm.