How are child custody (DEPENDENCY) cases transferred to tribal court?

In cases where ICWA applies, a parent or the Indian child’s tribe may request (petition) to have the case transferred to tribal court. The state court must transfer the case, unless it finds good cause to deny the request. Good cause can exist where one of the child’s parents objects to the transfer.[3444]

  1. 3444

    See 25 U.S.C. § 1911(b).