Ask your attorney. Contact the attorney who represented you in your criminal case. They may have a copy of your RAP sheet in their files or archives.

Review your C-file. If you are in state prison, your RAP sheet may be included in your C-file. You have the right to review the non-confidential portion of your C-file; the process of asserting that right is called an “Olsen review.”[2982] Your Correctional Counselor will have more information on how to begin this process.

Contact the DOJ: In order to obtain your RAP sheet directly from the DOJ, you must follow these steps:

STEP 1: Write a letter to the DOJ requesting a Fingerprint Identification Card (sometimes called a Hard Card) and, if you are indigent, a Fee Waiver form. Explain that you are currently incarcerated and be sure to provide your CDCR number and correct return address (including, where appropriate, your housing unit). Send this letter to:

Bureau of Criminal Identification and Information
Attention: Record Review Unit
P.O. Box 903417
Sacramento, CA 94203-4170

STEP 2: Once the Hard Card arrives, fill out the information and get fingerprinted. You may need to find a prison staff member who is a certified fingerprint technician. Ask your Correctional Counselor for more information.

STEP 3: If you are indigent, fill out the Fee Waiver form. Provide proof of indigence, such as a commissary account record or other document. If not, provide payment of the $25 DOJ fee via check or money order, seeking help from an outside loved one if need be.

STEP 4: Mail all forms to the address listed in Step 1. You should receive your RAP sheet within one to eight weeks.

  1. 2981

    This section is adapted from “Using Proposition 47 to Reduce Convictions and Restore Rights.” Legal Services for Prisoners with Children (March 2016),pp. 4-6, available at

  2. 2982

    15 C.C.R. § 3375(h); DOM §§ 13030.14, 13030.16; Olsen v. Pope (1974) 37 Cal.App.3d 783.